JANUARY 2011: My Surface Interval named one of the best scuba diving blogs

Monday, February 16, 2009

Marine Conservation Society Award

Slumdog Millionaire v The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Brad Pitt v Mickey Rourke? Kate Winslet v well, Kate Winslet? I'm sure there are people arguing right now over who deserves this year's Oscar.
While they're doing that, let me tell you that the Marine Conservation Society has nipped in to win it's own honour - the Best Environmental Campaign 2009 award with their battle for Clean Seas.
Campaigns to reduce pollution at sea were nominated by readers of Coast Magazine and debated by a panel of judges including dive hottie Miranda Krestovnikoff.
Among it's initiatives, MCS Beachwatch involves over 5,000 volunteers each year in cleaning up and surveying beaches.
The conservation group has also brought the issues of plastic bags, balloons, sewage dumped at sea to public and government attention through its Campaign for Clean Seas.
Dr Sue Kinsey, of the MCS pollution team, said: "We're absolutely delighted to win this award, which we accept on behalf of the team of volunteers and staff who have worked so hard to bring about change."
Congratulations to the team.
My money's on Slumdog, Pitt and er Winslet by the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think absolutmark should get an award for his 4x4 efforts to bring marine life to all our doorsteps though increased emissions melting the ice caps and raising the sea level.

Absolutmark said...

Cheers for that Teknobabbler.
I drive a Land Rover Freelander but I offset my carbon emissions each year through Climatecare.org
It's simple to use and has a calculator to help work out what you owe. I paid just over £35 for my mileage last year.