JANUARY 2011: My Surface Interval named one of the best scuba diving blogs

Monday, January 11, 2010

More underwater photographs using Canon G9

Following an earlier post re using the manual functions of the Canon G9 to take underwater pics below are a few more examples from a recent trip to the Red Sea.

Probably should have included some of the other tries to see where things have been improved - but then I would have needed a massive memory card.

I used custom white balance on all of them, taking a reading from the palm of my hand or the sand, except where flash was used.

So in no particular order here goes.......


Napoleon Wrasse. Quite shallow at about ten metres which is why some of the colours still remain. Shutter speed 1/60. Ap 2.8. ISO 200

Red Sea Bannerfish. Got the right angle, to get some blue between fish and reef. Looked better on the camera screen and not quite sharp enough when downloaded. Shutter speed 1/80 Ap 4.0. ISO 80. With my new wide angle lens I will be able to get closer and still keep the ref in shot and get the image sharper.
Blue spotted ray shutter speed 1/60, aperture 2.8. No flash. I've had to crop a little to get more of a focus on the eyes, and it shows. Lesson learned: get closer next time.


Giant moray, about 8-10m down. Had a bit of time with him. 1/80; 3.5; 200. Flash on hence colour in his face. Debating whether red needs to be toned down a bit.


One of my faves from the holiday because of the composition and atmosphere despite it being quite grainy. No wide angle lens (soon to be rectified) so shot from some distance away. For some reason, the shutter speed wasn't quite right 1/500 so the ISO was high at 400. An opportunity that I didn't want to miss but lesson learned: have my camera settings ready.

A reasonable one of an anemone fish and the little friends. Shutter 1/60 (probably needs to be faster with these tricky little buggers) and aperture 3.8. Flash was on.


Too washed-out to be really good, but I liked the blue water (almost like a painting) and the two fish in shot. 1/125; 4.0; 100


Lionfish. Just couldn't get low enough angle in the water to put a bit of blue between fish and reef. Ap 2.8, shutter speed 1/30. Maybe that is why water has a purple hue. Found an article giving some hints and tips about shooting good blue water. If it's any good I'll let you know. Reef in bottom left corner also a distraction.


Tried b&w with the remnants of the Yolanda wreck because a lack of w/a meant I was someway off the reef. Can't say I'm too excited. 1/60 and 3.5.


Another Moray. Full on face at about 6m. Flash on, hence the colour. 1/60; 2.8; 80

Let me know what you think, and I'll post a few more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Paul Arthur said...

Hi Mark,

These are great - although you should always try as hard as possible to get it all right in the camera, there are always things you can do afterwards to improve a picture provided the bear bones are pretty good.

For example at:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4269380092_a4fbab0a43_b.jpg

I'll be interested to hear what your solution is to the wideangle issue.

Thanks for these - very interesting.

Absolutmark said...

Paul, thanks for kind words. I'm still learning so as much as I try to get everything right in camera first, it's doesn't always work out for me. I like what you did to the one image, it really brought the subjects out and I'd suggest everyone take a look.
Sadly no easy solution to the wide angle with the G9. I looked at buying the Ikelite housing but at £660 + cost of the lens I decided against it. If I could have found a reputable supplier in the States I could have got it for two thirds the cost suppliers wanted here. I also looked at the Fantasea Line Big Eye Lens but there were some minor issues with it (see scubaboard) and I also didn't like the way you had to attach the lens once underwater. With UK drysuit diving in choppy seas that had disaster written all over it. For a reasonable cost, I have managed to get my hands on and Canon IXUS 980 which has similar manual functions to the G9 in a smaller package. The easily fitted INON wide angle is on it's way so I am hoping that works. I'll let you know how it goes.