JANUARY 2011: My Surface Interval named one of the best scuba diving blogs

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Best Places to go Diving?

After the brief US-bashing marine conservation post below, lets get back to scuba diving.
The Great Barrier reef job offer (I still might apply) outlined in a previous post got me thinking about my next foreign diving jolly and where to go.

My wife and I have trouped around the world to some fantastic places courtesy of high street travel companies. But, fancying somewhere different this year, I wondered whether there were any great undiscovered dive spots left? To be honest, I'd settle for somewhere off the beaten track and away from the Red Sea destinations that us UK divers favour.

The book Fifty Places to Dive Before You Die gave me a few ideas. Honduras for the whale shark watching, or how about Hawaii for north Pacific diving?
Then there was the Mergui Archipeligo off Myanmar (Burma to the rest of us). That is pretty new and only a few boats from north Thailand head that way. But would it be right to dive there knowing the political situation in a country run by a military junta?
The dive centre I do some work for has already organised a liveaboard trip doing the northern wrecks in the Red Sea which is a fantastic destination, so that is still on the cards.

Time for some research. I'll let you know what I find but your recommendations would be most welcome.

No comments: